From www.petinsurance.com What are some of the potential signs of pet poisoning?
A change in your pet’s normal behavior Your pet appears drowsy or uncomfortable Vomiting, diarrhea or excessive urination Unusual salivation or drooling Strange odors on the breath or skin Unsteady walk or movements, including tremors Disorientation or overreaction to light and sound Changes in gum color to blue, pale or bright red, or burn marks on the gum
What do I do if I suspect that my pet has been poisoned?
In most cases, do not induce vomiting Immediately take your pet to your veterinarian or local emergency veterinary hospital Be careful not to become personally contaminated; remove yourself and your pet from the source if the atmosphere is contaminated If you would like immediate help in your home, you may consider calling the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435)
What are some of the more common items in my home that could be poisonous to my pet?Low toxicity
Glow jewelry/glow sticks School glues, epoxy glues Pencils/markers Charcoal briquettes
Expandable wood glues Liquid air fresheners and potpourri Batteries Charcoal lighter fluid
Antifreeze/coolants Chocolate Grapes/raisins Pest control baits and poisons Human medications Alcoholic beverages Lawn and garden herbicides and pesticides
What are some of the more common toxic plants?
Marijuana Sago Palm Lilies Tulip/Narcissus bulbs Azalea/Rhondenendron Oleander Castor Bean Cyclamen Kalanchoe Yew
What are some other basic lawn and garden hazards and poison prevention tips?
Read all package instructions carefully before applying any products to your lawn or garden Be sure not only that it is safe to use around your pets, but that you are mixing or applying it correctly and in the right amount Check with your local garden center about the safety of plants you are putting in your garden Finally, be sure to close the top tightly on all containers and put them in an area where your pets do not have access to them